EconoMonitor

Nouriel Roubini's Global EconoMonitor

Bloomberg Interview – Roubini Says India Growth May Beat China’s in 10 Years

From Bloomberg

By Kartik Goyal

India’s economy may expand more than China’s in the next 10 years if the world’s second- most populous nation lifts curbs on foreign investment in retail and boosts spending on roads and bridges, Nouriel Roubini said.

“I’m very optimistic about India’s future growth” because the economy is driven by domestic demand while China relies more on exports, the New York University professor and chairman of Roubini Global Economics who predicted the global financial crisis said in New Delhi yesterday. “The challenge for India will be to sustain 9 percent growth and at the same time keep inflation under control.”

Roubini joins Morgan Stanley in predicting India will grow faster than China. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s government plans to double spending on roads, ports and power plants to $1 trillion in the five years to 2017 to improve the quality of India’s infrastructure, which is ranked below Sri Lanka and war-ravaged Ivory Coast.

The South Asian country’s gross domestic product climbed 8.9 percent for a second straight quarter in July to September, the government said this week. O.P. Bhatt, chairman at the State Bank of India, the country’s biggest, said today 10 percent growth for the nation “is inevitable.”

Small Stores

Indian laws, aimed at protecting small store owners, limit overseas investment to single-brand retail or wholesale operations. Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the world’s largest retailer, and rivals including Carrefour SA and Tesco Plc are pushing the government to allow foreign investment after the trade ministry invited views from the industry on removing the restriction.

Wal-Mart Chief Executive Officer Michael Duke said in October he is “optimistic” that non-Indian companies will be allowed to invest in the country. Organized retail may create as many as 3 million jobs in the next five years in India, according to Duke.

India’s economy bucked a growth slowdown in Asian neighbors from Thailand to Malaysia, where currency appreciation and risks to exports from Europe’s debt crisis and U.S. unemployment have clouded the outlook.

India’s factory output last month grew at the fastest pace in six months, according to the Purchasing Managers’ Index compiled by HSBC Holdings Plc and Markit Economics. The nation’s service industry expanded at the quickest pace in four months in November, the companies said in a statement today. Exports in October grew 21.3 percent, a separate report showed.

Young Population

“China is likely to slow in the coming years gradually and India’s growth is likely to accelerate,” boosted by a young population and higher consumption, Roubini said.

India will add 136 million workers, more than the population of Japan, by 2020 compared with 23 million for China, Morgan Stanley economist Chetan Ahya said in August. That will help the nation tap into a rising pool of savings and help finance infrastructure projects, he said.

Morgan Stanley expects India to overtake China as the world’s fastest-growing major economy by 2015. India’s growth may accelerate to 9.5 percent between 2011 and 2015, Ahya said.

India can sustain a growth rate of 9 percent by raising productivity and addressing supply-side issues, Roubini said yesterday.

21 Responses to “Bloomberg Interview – Roubini Says India Growth May Beat China’s in 10 Years”

the blueprint projectJune 16th, 2011 at 4:37 am

Thank you for that wise critique. Me & my neighbour were preparing to do some research about that. We received a superior book on that matter from our local library and most books exactly where not as influensive as your data. I’m very glad to see these details which I was searching for a long time.

Denae SouthwickJune 16th, 2011 at 9:24 am

Means these as the one you actually mentioned right here will be extremely useful to myself! I’ll publish a hyperlink for this page in my personalized blog. I am certain my prospects will uncover that rather helpful.

easiest colleges to get intoJune 16th, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Thanks for the interesting things you have revealed in your post. One thing I would like to discuss is that FSBO associations are built with time. By releasing yourself to the owners the first few days their FSBO is actually announced, prior to the masses commence calling on Thursday, you generate a good connection. By giving them equipment, educational products, free records, and forms, you become a great ally. By taking a personal curiosity about them and their scenario, you build a solid network that, most of the time, pays off in the event the owners opt with an adviser they know in addition to trust – preferably you actually.

czerpnie scienneJune 16th, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Hey there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any issues with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing several weeks of hard work due to no back up. Do you have any solutions to prevent hackers?

Hong RicherdsJune 16th, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Oh my goodness! an amazing article dude. Thanks Nevertheless I am experiencing challenge with ur rss . Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone getting equivalent rss problem? Anybody who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

Ronda JillJune 16th, 2011 at 8:18 pm

It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you few interesting things or suggestions. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read even more things about it!

Autokarowy BiletJune 16th, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Amazingly, your writing goes to the nitty-gritty of the subject. Your pellucidity leaves me wanting to know more. I will instantly grab your feed to keep up to date with your blog. Alleging thanks is simply my little way of saying good job for a special resource. Accept my sweetest wishes for your inflowing piece of writing.

Etsuko MarineseJune 16th, 2011 at 10:25 pm

hello!,I like your writing very a lot! percentage we keep up a correspondence more approximately your post on AOL? I require an expert in this area to unravel my problem. Maybe that’s you! Taking a look ahead to see you.

silver price historyJune 17th, 2011 at 12:02 am

I have observed that wise real estate agents everywhere you go are starting to warm up to FSBO Marketing and advertising. They are seeing that it’s not just placing a sign in the front yard. It’s really concerning building relationships with these vendors who later will become customers. So, while you give your time and effort to encouraging these suppliers go it alone : the “Law involving Reciprocity” kicks in. Thanks for your blog post.

historical silver priceJune 17th, 2011 at 2:11 am

Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I will certainly return.

astoria hondaJune 17th, 2011 at 10:34 am

I must say, as substantially as I enjoyed reading what you had to say, I couldnt help but lose interest after a while. Its as if you had a good grasp to the topic matter, but you forgot to include your readers. Perhaps you should think about this from extra than 1 angle. Or maybe you shouldnt generalise so significantly. Its better if you think about what others may have to say instead of just going for a gut reaction to the subject. Think about adjusting your very own believed process and giving others who may read this the benefit of the doubt.

dodawanieJune 17th, 2011 at 11:11 am

It is appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you some interesting things or advice. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read even more things about it!

Fotograf bryllupJune 17th, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Wow! This can be one particular of the most beneficial blogs We have ever arrive across on this subject. Actually Wonderful. I’m also an expert in this topic therefore I can understand your hard work.

Ian NunnoJune 17th, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I wished to thanks for this nice learn!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I’ve you bookmarked to take a look at new stuff you submit

Autokar WejherowoJune 17th, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Howdy are using WordPress for your site platform? I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and create my own. Do you need any html coding knowledge to make your own blog? Any help would be really appreciated!

canberra lawyersJune 17th, 2011 at 5:45 pm

I’m happy I found this blog, I couldnt uncover any data on this subject matter prior to. I also run a site and if you want to ever serious in a little bit of guest writing for me if feasible feel free to let me know, i’m always appear for people to check out my site. Please stop by and leave a comment sometime!