EconoMonitor

Nouriel Roubini's Global EconoMonitor

Roubini Global Economics – Weekly Roundup

Check out all the great contributions that were published during the past week on RGE’s Nouriel Roubini’s Global EconoMonitor, RGE Analyst’s EconoMonitor, Finance & Markets Monitor, Peterson Institute for International Economics Monitor, Global Macro EconoMonitor, U.S. EconoMonitor, Emerging Markets Monitor, Asia EconoMonitor, Latin America EconoMonitor and Europe EconoMonitor.

On Nouriel Roubini’s Global EconoMonitor, Senator Chris Dodd questions Ben Bernanke at his confirmation hearings and raises Nouriel’s concern over asset bubbles being inflated from carry trades.  Please see Senator Chris Dodd Raises Roubini Predictions at Bernanke Confirmation Hearings.

We congratulate Nouriel – Nouriel Roubini Ranked #4 in Foreign Policy’s List of Top 100 Global Thinkers.

On the RGE Analyst’s EconoMonitor, Rachel Ziemba examines the lessons learned for the global economy and the financial markets following the fallout from the debts of Dubai Inc.  See Wednesday Note – After Dubai.

In What’s on the Agenda at China’s Central Economic Work Conference? Adam Wolfe takes a look at the upcoming Central Economic Work Conference in China and suggests policy continuity is likely to dominate the meeting. Expect minor changes for the property sector and SOEs, but consumption incentives and infrastructure spending look to continue.

In University Bonds: Are the Ties that Bind Too Long? Melissa Fabros examines the boon in municipal bond issues by universities. The bond market has welcomed the supply, but universities may be making commitments to bondholders that supersede obligations to their campus community.

Don’t miss CNBC Interview with Arnab Das Discussing Dubai, Abu Dhabi, and India.

On the Finance & Markets Monitor, Jose Vinals examines why some countries with similar financial and regulatory systems fared differently during the crisis.  Read Going Beyond the Rules.

In Prompt Corrective Action for All is Unnecessary and Unworkable, Joseph Mason questions the beneficial effects of grafting prompt corrective action thresholds onto financial institutions outside the traditional application to commercial banks.

In Understanding Custom OTC Derivatives , Charles Davi demystifies bespoke trades.

On the Peterson Institute for International Economics Monitor, C. Fred Bergsten points out the shortcomings of the international economic system that was created at the end of the Second World War and which no longer reflects the distribution of economic weight among nations. Recognizing these issues and the new global order, Bergsten constructs A Blueprint for Global Leadership in the 21st Century.

On the Global Macro EconoMonitor, Dubai and its aftermath sparked discussion:

In Does Dubai Matter? Ask Ireland, Simon Johnson notes that the direct effects so far seem small, but the European Union’s treatment of Ireland might be influenced.

In Total Eclipse at the Heart of Dubai’s World, Edward Hugh discusses Dubai’s problematic growth model and whether there will be contagion.

In The Bust in Dubai and Exogenous Shocks, Edward Harrison asserts that the Dubai World events underline the unpredictability of exogenous shocks, and he expresses concern over the potential crisis situations that are still lurking in the background.

Also see On the Sovereign Debt Crisis and the Debt Servicing Cost Mentality, where Harrison says the sooner we abandon a debt servicing cost mentality, the more likely we are to face up to the challenge of the sovereign debt problem, which he sees as critical.

Also on the Global Macro EconoMonitor:

Historical Rhymes by James Picerno

The Doha Trade Round is Worth Fighting For by Otaviano Canuto

On the U.S. EconoMonitor, Robert Reich reports that rising unemployment is the main reason that one out of four homeowners is now under water, while Wall Street is booming again.  See The Housing Crisis and Wall Street Shame.

In Will the Obey Plan End the War? Mark Thoma considers the effect of a tax surcharge on the war.  Also see Independent Does Not Mean Unaccountable.

In We Don’t Know How Black Friday Sales Were Yet, Barry Ritholtz continues to encourage the scrutiny of misleading headlines and data presentations.

On the Emerging Markets Monitor, Heiko Hesse examines the co-movement of the U.S. dollar with a number of key financial asset prices in recent years.  Read Asset Price Co-Movements and the Dollar Carry Trade.

Don’t miss Satyajit Das’ three part series on China:

Parting the Bamboo Curtain Part 1 – The Basis of China’s Growth

Parting the Bamboo Curtain Part 2 – Rescuing the Dragon

Parting the Bamboo Curtain Part 3 – How Long Can China Go On?

On the Asia EconoMonitor, Michael Pettis reports on the tug-of-war that is playing out in China between the industrial and exporting sectors along with provincial and local leaders who want to see a continuation of the financial policies, versus the macro and financial specialists who are worried about the growing imbalances and their impacts on the financial sector – imbalances that appear to be worsening.  Pettis points out the important debate revolving around financial sector reform, which most believe is the key to the healthy development of the Chinese economy, but he believes that neither the distorted interest rates nor weak bank governance are being addressed.  Don’t miss Repairing China’s Financial System.

On the Europe EconoMonitor, Edward Harrison argues that Quantitative Easing is Not the Cure to What Ails Europe.

In Two Bank Speeches and a New Job, David Smith reports on UK quantitative easing and the appointment of Willem Buiter as chief economist of Citi.

26 Responses to “Roubini Global Economics – Weekly Roundup”

gracePDecember 7th, 2009 at 11:59 pm

Almost all of us are having difficulty with the economic problem that we have today. We’re in a recession, and now isn’t the time to be lax about being proactive or change. Many consumers today are looking for debt relief. Without knowing it, they do have tools to solve a lot of their problems right at hand. Many people are not proactive with where they put their money. Justin Prichard, bank expert at About.com, said, “The best annual percentage rate consumers will get at traditional banks is about 0.75 percent APY. Internet banks can easily offer up to 2.25 percent.” In the end, savings are available but consumers have to be actively involved in their management.

workout logJune 12th, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Thanks for another informative website. Where else could I get that kind of info written in such an ideal way? I have a project that I am just now working on, and I have been on the look out for such information.

the blueprint projectJune 16th, 2011 at 6:44 am

I think youve produced some actually interesting points. Not too many people would essentially think about this the way you just did. Im really impressed that theres so a lot about this topic thats been uncovered and you did it so properly, with so much class. Good one you, man! Definitely excellent things right here.

holidays with dogsJune 16th, 2011 at 11:27 am

Thanks for the new stuff you have revealed in your short article. One thing I’d really like to touch upon is that FSBO human relationships are built over time. By releasing yourself to the owners the first end of the week their FSBO can be announced, prior to a masses start off calling on Wednesday, you generate a good interconnection. By giving them methods, educational materials, free reviews, and forms, you become a great ally. By using a personal curiosity about them and their circumstance, you build a solid network that, most of the time, pays off if the owners opt with a representative they know along with trust – preferably you.

San Diego Real Estate ListingsJune 16th, 2011 at 2:16 pm

First of all, allow my family appreciate a person’s command during this matter. Even though this is certainly brand new , nevertheless soon after registering your site, this intellect has exploded extensively. Allow all of us to take hold of one’s rss to help keep in touch with at all probable messages Sincere understand but will pass it on to help admirers and my particular are living members

wentylatory dachoweJune 16th, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Greetings from Los angeles! I’m bored at work so I decided to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break. I really like the information you present here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home. I’m surprised at how quick your blog loaded on my phone .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, wonderful site!

Jami FererJune 16th, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided me.

types of cloudsJune 16th, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I have noticed that over the course of constructing a relationship with real estate owners, you’ll be able to come to understand that, in each and every real estate transaction, a payment is paid. Eventually, FSBO sellers never “save” the percentage. Rather, they struggle to win the commission by way of doing the agent’s work. In completing this task, they shell out their money plus time to accomplish, as best they might, the obligations of an realtor. Those obligations include revealing the home by way of marketing, showing the home to willing buyers, making a sense of buyer urgency in order to trigger an offer, scheduling home inspections, taking on qualification inspections with the loan provider, supervising repairs, and aiding the closing of the deal.

Dann HogstonJune 16th, 2011 at 10:17 pm

I don’t even know the way I stopped up right here, but I believed this submit used to be good. I do not recognise who you might be but certainly you’re going to a famous blogger in case you aren’t already 😉 Cheers!

astoria hondaJune 17th, 2011 at 7:44 am

Fantastic job here. I genuinely enjoyed what you had to say. Keep heading because you unquestionably bring a new voice to this topic. Not many people would say what youve said and still make it interesting. Nicely, at least Im interested. Cant wait to see a lot more of this from you.

loan sharksJune 17th, 2011 at 9:05 am

I’m a college student that wants to obtain a personal loan of 00 for just a 60 month period. I do not want to take out a student loan, because I don’t need the $ for student, rather some personal expenses.

Biosilk cosmeticsJune 17th, 2011 at 11:38 am

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually something that I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

Glen ZuberJune 17th, 2011 at 1:10 pm

With the whole thing which is building in the course of this intended theme, all your points of view happen to be seriously exciting. That being said, I ask your excuse, but I don’t give support to your complete suggestion, many be it stimulating none the particular less. It seems to me that your observations are generally not totally validated plus reality you are your self not completely confident of the level. In any case Used to do delight in examining it.

dodawanieJune 17th, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Hello there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it is really informative. I’m gonna watch out for brussels. I will appreciate if you continue this in future. Many people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

Lavon BarburJune 17th, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Thanks for taking the time to debate this, I feel strongly about it and love studying extra on this topic. If attainable, as you achieve expertise, would you thoughts updating your weblog with additional info? This can be very helpful for me.