By now, everyone knows that Apple had a blowout quarter: Q1FY12 sales of $46.33 billion, profits of $13.1 billion, with gross margins of 45%, translates into EPS of $13.87.
But the data points that surround the company today are simply astonishing. Consider these astounding Apple facts:
• Apple reclaimed the title of the world’s most valuable company $415B vs Exxon Mobil’s $413B (Yahoo Finance)
• The $97.6 billion in cash that $AAPL has is higher than the market value of 448 of the companies in the S&P 500. (Capital IQ)
• This was the 2nd highest profit quarter of any company ever. ExxonMobil’s Q3 08 profit of $14.8 billion needed $147 barrel oil and $140 billion in revenue. (WSJ)
• Sales rose 73% to $46.3 billion — so much for the law of big numbers working against them (CNN/Money)
• In 2009, Apple sold more iPhones than it did in 2007 and 2008 combined. In 2010, Apple sold more iPhones than it did in 2007, 2008, and 2009 combined. Last year, Apple sold 93.1 million iPhones, slightly more than it did in in 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 combined (Matt Richman)
• Apple’s profit of $13.1 billion was equal to their revenue in Q4 2010
• If Apple was a country, its market cap would make it 29th biggest nation, its annual revenue would make it the 52nd, its cash position 66th, and its earnings 79th, in terms of GDP (Global Macro Monitor)
• Apple’s profits ($13 billion) exceeded Google’s entire revenue ($10.6 billion) (Manjoo)
• Apple has now sold 315 million iPhones, iPads and iPod Touch devices running its iOS software (CNN/Money)
• Google would activate 59,653,187 Android-based devices during Apple’s fourth calendar quarter. Apple has said that iPod touch sales make up more than half of all iPod sales. That means Apple sold at least 7.7 million iPod touches. And that number, plus 37.04 million iPhones and 15.43 million iPads, means iOS outsold Android last quarter. (Matt Richman)
• Apple sold three times as many iPads as Amazon sold Kindle Fires (Tech Crunch)
Last, my favorite chart set, via Dan Frommer:
This post originally appeared at The Big Picture and is posted with permission.