Click here to download your free copy (2.6 MB PDF).
These are all on the A-team members of the shadow defense establishment.
- Chet Richards (Colonel, USAF, retired), author of several books including (most recently) If We Can Keep It, Editor of DNI.
- Tom Christie, close colleague of John Boyd’s, co-author of the energy maneuverability papers, and my boss at the TACAIR shop in PA&E.
- Bob Dilger, guru of the A-10’s gun, the GAU-8, and who showed how competition could reduce the cost of munitions by 90% while improving quality; long-time advocate for close air support.
- Bruce Gudmundsson, retired Marine and author of seven books, including the classic Stormtroop Tactics(available from the DNI book store).
- Bill Lind, who needs no introduction to DNI’s readers.
- Doug Macgregor, hero of 73 Easting, author of Breaking the Phalanx and Transformation Under Fire.
- John Sayen, also retired Marine, author, and one of the best military analysts writing today (he and Doug Macgregor co-reviewed my chapter).
- Pierre Sprey, another of Boyd’s closest colleagues, driving force behind the A-10 and a major influence on the F-16. Now runs Mapleshade Studios in Maryland.
- Jim Stevenson, long-time author, publisher, and defense analyst; wrote the classic study of defense program mismanagement on the A-12.
- Don Vandergriff, another author who needs no introduction; probably the leading expert on instituting leadership programs for 4GW (see an archive of his work here).
- GI Wilson, another colleague of Boyd’s, member of the team that put together FMFM-1, and co-author of the paper that coined the term “fourth generation warfare.”
- Winslow Wheeler, who also edited the volume, long-time congressional staffer, and author of another classic, The Wastrels of Defense.
If you are new to this site, please glance at the archives below. You may find answers to your questions in these.
Please share your comments by posting below. Per the FM site’s Comment Policy, please make them brief (250 words max), civil, and relevant to this post. Or email me at fabmaximus at hotmail dot com (note the spam-protected spelling).
For more information from the FM site
To read other articles about these things, see the FM reference page on the right side menu bar. Of esp relevance to this topic:
- About America – how can we reform it?
- About Military, political, and strategic theory
- About Books about geopolitics
Posts on the FM site discussing Some solutions, ways to reform America:
A must-read book for any American interested in geopolitics: Legacy of Ashes by Tim Weiner.
The Constitution: wonderful, if we can keep it: If We Can Keep It by Chet Richards.
Valuable new insights about the culture of war… a preview – The Culture of War by Martin Van Creveld (out this Fall, you can pre-order on Amazon).
Diagnosing the Eagle, Chapter II — book recommendations for 2008 – Three great books, all telling much about 21st America.
Diagnosing the Eagle, Chapter III — reclaiming the Constitution – about Closing of the American Mind by Allan Bloom.
Diagnosing the eagle, chapter IV – Alienation – about The Culture of Narcissism by Christopher Lasch.
Least we forget: lessons for us from the Battle of Ia Drang – about We Were Soldiers Once… and Young.
- The Changing Face of War: Lessons of Combat, From the Marne to Iraq, by Martin van Creveld — one of the major books about 4GW.
Originally published at Fabius Maximus and reproduced here with the author’s permission.